Twitter and Microblogs
What is a microblog? What is Twitter?
Just as a blog is an easy means of communicating one person's message out to an audience of many subscribers, a microblog is a means of sending your message to many subscribers. The difference is microblog messages are much, much smaller.
Microblogs, such as Twitter, limit users to a number of characters, so the entries are shorter and more frequent. Microbloggers can use the Twitter Web page, a cell phone, or other third-party software to enter their messages to their subscribers, or followers.
How are people using Twitter? Why should I use it?
People are using Twitter in a number of ways:
- Enjoying everyday chit-chat.
- Posing a question to a large audience.
- Sharing links and pictures of interest immediately.
- Discussing a conference or presentation as it happens.
- Monitoring what people on Twitter are saying about a product, service, institution, etc. (And possibly responding to provide good customer service!)
There are a number of reasons why Twitter could be useful to you:
- You can feel like people at another location are right in your office (eg. colleagues from other campus locations).
- You can pose a question to a large group of people and get nearly immediate feedback.
- You can share notes, solicit feedback, and report on the aggregated results.
- You can promote events at your work to a larger audience.
Making Twitter Work for You
A lot of people try Twitter an give up. To make Twitter work for you, you need these key things:
- a good reason to "tweet" (see above)
- a critical mass of people you "follow", as well as "followers" (see Using Twitter#SigningUpforTwitterUsing Twitter)
- a third-party application that makes "tweeting" part of your computing routine (see Using Third-Party Applications for Twitter)
I'm ready to give Twitter a try. Now what?
Then, if you would like to be introduced to the community of PSU and HigherEd Twitter users, add NikkiMK as a follower and introduce yourself. I'll be happy to let my followers know you are out there!