Thunderbird's Address Book
Thunderbird's address book contains your contacts. To access your address book from your Mail Toolbar, click your Address Book button. The Address Book window will open.
By default, Thunderbird has two address books:
- Personal Address Book — your default address book
- Collected Addresses — collection of contacts to whom you have replied
New Address Book Card
There several ways to add a new contact's address book card to an address book:
- Click the New Card button -OR- go to File→New→Address Book Card -OR- press CTRL+N. No matter which method you choose, the New Card dialog box appears.
- In the Add to drop-down menu, select the address book where this card should be added.
- Fill in the fields that apply to the contact and click OK. Your new address book card will appear in the right-hand pane when you click on the address book on the left-hand pane.
New Mailing List
A mailing list is a collection of addresses. To create a new mailing list:
- Click the New List button -OR- go to File→New→Mailing. No matter which method you choose, the Mailing List dialog box appears.
- In the Add to drop-down menu, select the address book where this list should be added.
- Fill in the List Name. (You can also provide a shorter List Nickname and more detailed List Description if you choose to do so.)
- In the bottom section, add email addresses to you list. These addresses do not have to be from the address book you selected.
- When you are finished entering addresses, click OK. Your new mailing list will appear under your expanded address book in the left pane.
New Address Book
If you'd like to manage a separate list of contacts, you can create a new address book, by selecting File→New→Address Book.
New LDAP Directory
You can configure Thunderbird to search an LDAP directory service for addresses, so that you do no have to update your addresses manually.
- You can add Penn State's LDAP directory to search for Penn State email addresses: http://kb.its.psu.edu/psu-all/hd/LDAP/?searchterm=ldap%20email
- Penn State University Libraries faculty and staff can add the Libraries' LDAP directory (Libraries Staff Only): https://intranet.libraries.psu.edu/home/itech/training/tutorials/ldaptbird.html