We generally recommend against setting up against vacation notice for the following reasons:
- Security: Vacation notices sent in response to spam, tells the spammers they have reached a valid email address.
- Etiquette: Every time people send a message to a listserv while you are gone, they get extra vacation notices back. (See training on email etiquette.)
You may want to communicate your absence ahead of time or provide a listserv as the contact email in the event of your absence. However, if you would like to set up a vacation notice, the instructions are as follows...
- Go to https://www.work.psu.edu/vacation/
- Click Start Automatic E-mail Reply Message Utility.
- For Start Date, you can click the This Date radio button and enter a start date or click Now to start immediately.
- For End Date, you can click the This Date radio button and enter a start date or click Manually and remember to return to the web page to turn it off.
- In the Message Reply section, compose the email you would like people to receive while you are away. Make sure the From field includes your PSU email address, as in
- Click Submit Auto-reply Request. Your vacation notice will activate from your start date to your end date.
- When you return, if you have selected a manual end date, go to https://www.work.psu.edu/vacation/, click Stop Automatic E-mail Reply Message Utility, and click the Stop Vacation button. Your vacation notice will be deactivated.