Ignore Backup of Certain Files
Q: How do I get my Scheduled Backup to ignore selected files so that my backup does not become too large?
A: If you followed the Backup Setup instructions from this Technology Training site, you have selected to back up your entire My Documents folder. You can setup a shortcut folder within My Documents for your large files (i.e. images, video, audio, etc.) that you do not want included in your backup but still want to access conveniently from My Documents:
- From the Start button, your Desktop, or Windows Explorer, navigate to Local Disk (C:).
- Go to File→New→Folder.
- Name your folder according to your preference (ex:
- Right-click the icon for the new folder and choose Copy from the menu.
- From the Start button, your Desktop, or Windows Explorer, navigate to My Documents.
- Choose Edit→Paste Shortcut, so that the shortcut for your folder appears inside My Documents.
- From now on when you save files that you do not want to be included in your backup, save them inside this new folder.