Archiving Eudora Email
Things to Keep in Mind When Archiving Eudora Mailboxes...
- Archived mail must be on your hard drive or network file space to launch Eudora.
.mbxfiles can be read using Notepad (but they’re not pretty).
- Attachments need to be considered. They can not be opened from the archived email message and must be retrieved separately using Word, Excel, etc.
- Deleted email messages, mailboxes and attachments can not be restored.
- Archiving email requires some preparation:
- Create a new Eudora folder to hold messages to be archived.
- Transfer mailboxes and email messages to be archived to the archive folder.
- Identify attachments that are associated with the email messages you wish to archive.
Archiving Mailboxes to Drives
Step One: Creating a Folder
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Select the desired drive using the drop down arrow at the address line.
- Click File?New?Folder.
- Overwrite folder called New Folder with desired name (e.g. "0907archive").
Step Two: Copying the Eudora Mailbox to the New Archive Folder
- Select drive C:\ using the drop down arrow at the address line.
- Go to
Documents and Settings?userid?My Documents?Mail(You should now see a list of files which includes your Eudora mailboxes (
.mbx) and TOC files (
- Copy the Eudora archive mailbox files (
.toc) to the email archive folder created in Step 1.
Step Three: Copy Selected Eudora Attachments to the New Archive Folder
- Open each email message with an attachment.
- Right-click on attachment and select Save Attachment As.
- Save to your archive folder.
To open a selected archived mailbox, simply double-click on the
.mbx Mailbox and Eudora will launch.
Archiving Mailboxes to CD
You can burn selected
.toc files, as well as attachment files, or entire archive folders to a CD using the tool installed on your machine (either Roxio Creator or Sonic RecordNow). Your CD mailbox files (
.toc) and attachments, like all data files burned to a CD, will have the read-only attribute set. To open them again in Eudora you will need to:
- Copy the selected
.tocfiles from the archive CD to your hard drive or network file space.
- Select the copied files, right-click.
- Choose Properties.
- Unclick the "read only" checkbox and click OK.
- Double-click on the
.mbxfile and Eudora will launch.