Any project with a technical component can benefit greatly from having a Technical Lead. This is also an important Agile role.
The Technical lead can be a software engineer, systems architect, or other expert appropriate for the type of project. The Technical Lead guides the team in decisions about tools, infrastructure, choice of operating systems, development/staging environments, programming, unit/integrated testing, and other pertinent technical issues.
The Technical Lead should be able to do the following:
- Work closely with the Project Manager, Product Owner, and others to design features and prioritize tasks
- Support the team by answering technical questions and solving technical problems
- Help with recruiting and hiring developers, testers, and other technical members of the team
- In the case of software projects, assemble software releases and drive improvements in release processes; set an example of, and encourage, coding best practices;
and write code
In some projects, the Technical Lead and Project Lead can be the same individual.
Technical Lead Responsibilities
- Takes lead in determining technical architecture and technical environments (development, testing, deployment, etc.)
- Serves as adviser and coordinator of the team’s technical activities
- Ensures adherence to standards and best practices
- Resolves technical differences between team members