12 50 00 FURNITURE
12 52 00 SEATING
.01 Fixed Seating
- Single Support Pedestal Table and Chairs
- See Division 13 20 10 – Classroom Design for further references to General Purpose Classroom document that includes information on seating.
- General Description
- This specification is for a one-piece contoured plastic seat with a folding tablet arm and a steel pedestal. It shall be attached to the floor and have an 18" seat height. See Division 13 20 10 – Classroom Design for further references to General Purpose Classroom document that includes information on seating.
- The chair top shall be injection-molded one-piece plastic with sculptured contours for maximum comfort and attractive appearance. The shell shall be attached to the frame by means of molded pockets at the front underside of the seat area and at the sides of the back area of the one-piece shell. The die-formed steel mounting tubes shall be inserted into the molded pockets on the underside of the seat shell, and the steel back support tubes shall be inserted into the molded pockets on the side of the back area of the shell firmly attaching the one-piece shell to the frame. The shell shall be held in position at the rear bottom corners by means of two 3/16" rivets inserted through the shell and into the frame of the chair.
- The folding tablet-arm and armrest shall consist of a writing surface of thermosetting melamine laminate applied to a moisture-resistant high-density core, with plastic laminate backing, all in balanced construction. Edges shall be stained and sealed for appearance and full protection. Finished thickness shall be approximately 9/16". Work surface of tablet arm shall be not less than 220 square inches. The tablet arm shall be attached to a heavy steel flange-and-hinge mechanism on a tubular steel post which permits the folding of the tablet arm from the writing position to a vertical position, and then rotated rearward and downward for out-of-the-way storage. The armrest shall be securely attached to the upper end of the tablet arm support tube so that when the table arm is folded, the armrest shall be ready for use.
- The chair pedestal shall consist of a rectangular steel floor flange welded to the lower end of the vertical member so as to permit proper attachment to the floor, level or inclined, as required. When required, this steel flange shall be welded to the rear side of the vertical member so as to permit the section to be mounted to the face of the riser. The upper end of the vertical members shall have a supporting surface for attachment of the chair top.
- All metal parts shall be phosphate-coated with an electrostatic spray finish in enamel. All metal coatings shall be baked for a period equivalent to 20 minutes at a temperature of 335°F. Adequacy of finish shall be determined by reasonable and relevant performance tests for resistance to flexing and abrasion.
- General Description
- Beam-mounted chair system shall permanently attach to floor or riser face. Chair module shall include a self-rise seat to a 3/4 or "safety-fold" position with manual override to vertical or "passing-fold" position. Chair backs shall option of being sprung forward, sprung rearward, or locked in rear location. See Division 13 20 10 – Classroom Design for further references to General Purpose Classroom document that includes information on seating.
- Seat height (at front center) shall be approximately 17-1/4"; back height approximately 30-1/2" above tread. Overall seat and back width shall be 16-3/8" minimum.
- Chairs shall consist of plastic or padded upholstered seats and backs mounted on 7-gauge steel hinge arms, providing low-noise, self-rising action, with provision for securely mounting to 14-gauge steel tubular beam sized to support chairs and arms at appropriate intervals.
- Plastic backs shall be double-walled blow-molded polyethylene. Backs shall consist of a contoured, double-wall (nominally .125" thick), blow-molded polyethylene shell.
- Plastic seats shall be double-walled blow-molded polyethylene. Seats shall consist of double-wall polyethylene shells.
- Folding tablet arm shall measure approximately 150 square inches. Top shall consist of high-pressure melamine bonded to a high-density particle board core with phenolic backing sheet into one integral piece. Edges shall be stained Black. Arm shall be attached to a heavy steel flange, and shall incorporate a cast iron hinge block; shall fold up to vertical position, and rotate to the rear and down for out-of-the-way storage. A positive "up" and "down" stop shall be provided.
- Chair beams shall be attached to the floor, or riser face, by an appropriate cast grey iron pedestal securely attached by use of lead shield-drive anchors. Pedestals shall be provided with a split clamp for securing to the beam in any appropriate location.
- Molded Plastic - All seats and backs shall be made from high-density molded polyethylene 1/8" thick nominal.
- Steel - All steel shall have smooth surfaces and be of sufficient gauge thickness to withstand strains from use and abuse.
- Grey Iron - All grey iron shall be of quality and strength in accordance with American Society for Testing Materials Designation A-48 for Class 25 Grey Iron Castings.
- Metal Parts - Parts shall be finished by immersion in alkyd urea enamel. Finish shall then be oven-baked to assure hard durable finish. Colors shall be as selected.
- Seating Plan
- The Contractor shall provide a complete seating plan developed from the Professional's blueprints or measurements of building. Seating plan is to show all chairs, chair sizes, and aisle widths. The Contractor must assume complete responsibility for accuracy of chair measurements shown by seating plan.
- Floor Type
- Seating plan to be reproduced on floor, all dimensions checked against plan, and necessary adjustments made in layout for any discrepancies.
- Chair standards to be attached to concrete floor by means of two 1/4" diameter expansion bolts set in holes 1-3/8" deep. Expansion bolts to be approved type of lead-drive anchor consisting of the following:
- Bolt - 1/4" x 2" - special flat countersunk head with two fins under head and with hexagon nut. Bolt length to be of sufficient length and tensile strength to meet requirements.
- Sleeve - 1/4" x 1/2" x 1" - lead (commercially known as 2% Antimony lead) with one end recessed to fit cone.
- Cone - Cast hard metal or alternate formed steel.
- Lock Washer
- Flat Washer - To be slipped on bolt over standard to permanently secure nut. Installation Hardware - All installation hardware shall be zinc plated, or otherwise treated with a rust-resisting process.
- To assume a high and satisfactory quality, the seat manufacturer shall fabricate, under his control, all parts composing the complete chairs, such as steel parts, plastic, etc. He shall also maintain thorough test and inspection procedures to assure a uniform high quality of all raw materials used, as well as the finished product. The seat manufacturer, upon request, shall provide documentation of procedures.
- The seat manufacturer shall provide with his submittal a list of not less than five installations of similar specifications installed by the bidder that have been in service for a period of at least two years.
.02 Movable Seating
See Division 13 20 10 – Classroom Design for further references to General Purpose Classroom document that includes information on movable seating.
12 56 00 INSTITUTIONAL FURNITURE
.01 Movable Instructor's Table
See Division 13 20 10 – Classroom Design for further references to General Purpose Classroom document that includes information on movable instructor tables.